25 November 2007

the loneliest number

I spent four years, give or take, at Miami University being involved heavily with Campus Crusade for Christ. And during that time, I learned any number of things that I've since left by the wayside, having judged them to be unhelpful in living life in the world outside of Miami University. It's possible that we may return to a discussion of what some of those things are at a later time but today is about applicable information.

One thing that I learned that I still believe to be true, absolutely and without question, is that human beings, were created (which I also still believe) to be together. In fact, I think it's possible that every created thing was meant to have it's partner. I'm not talking about boyfriends and girlfriends, or husbands and wives, or romance or sex. I'm just talking about having someone or something around to relate to, to be in a relationship with.

I live in a lonely place and I lead a lonely life. I'm a Sergeant in the United States Army, living in upstate New York, in a place that may never have been meant to support human life. I spent 16 months in a combat zone in Afghanistan. My best friend only lives six hours away but it's certainly too far to spend very much time together. And thus far the only people up here that seem to be willing to talk to me much are the guys that I work with, who I generally try to steer clear of in social situations for various reasons.

I don't say all of this for pity or sympathy or any reaction of any kind from anyone. The background information was only meant to make illustrate my point. We need other people. I've rebelled against that idea for most of my life but there's really no getting around it. I often joke and say that I either want to find girlfriend or get a new puppy. I'm almost certain that the puppy would make for a much simpler life but people need people. I have a whole host of thoughts, and sometimes even feelings, that often find no outlet other than this computer screen.

It was John Donne who said, "No man is an Island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the Continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee." So I hope now that, if anyone still reads this blog, we can constantly remind ourselves not to take the people in our lives for granted or any person anywhere.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Josh,
I hope you don't mind that I read your blog, and how right you are. Even deeper than just relating to someone else is finding another person who "gets" you. We both live in a world that likes us all in our tidy boxes, and we are discouraged from stepping off the path left by those before us. It is very hard in this kind of place to be ourselves and develop a kinship apart from that military agenda. Keep strong, I'm sure you will be outta the land of the frozen chosen before long.
Take care,
Abby

Anonymous said...

Good words.

Anonymous said...

Loneliness is never a fun place. I am with ya on that Josh. An island we were not meant to be but in relationship, in community.

And as for those things you have left by the wayside from your time at Miami ...spiritually... what do you mean? You didn't think I would let that one pass did ya now? No my brother.. please share.. to blogland or to my email...