28 June 2006

One of the most difficult things about being in the military, for me, is that none of the people I work with see to have any belief in the idea of virtue. They just can't wrap their heads around the idea that someone might choose to do something that goes against what our minds and bodies want just because they feel it isn't right. For example, most of the guys don't seem to understand my reasoning behind not drinking. Even more to the point no one seems to understand any kind of reasoning behind waiting for marriage to have sex. And when I try to tell them that I know hundreds of people and have many friends doing just that, they refuse to believe it. In their minds neither men nor women are even capable of doing something that runs so contrary to their desires; no one could possibly be choosing righteousness over pleasure. Even those of them with a basic understanding of Christianity, and even those who say they know Jesus seem to be incapable of believing in the phenomenon of virtue. The hard part comes in trying not to let that affect the way I look at the world. It's a battle I'm not always sure that I'm winning.

No comments: