03 March 2007

The Lost Platoon

Today started out looking like it might turn out pretty well. I woke up a little later than usual at about 7. It was raining, which, on the face of things, might seem like a negative but it meant that helicopters would be grounded and that our mission would be canceled for the day which in turn meant that I could take a nap after breakfast. I was also anticipating the arrival of a large quantity of mail for my platoon. We had not received any mail since we were told about our extension so, naturally, we were all quite excited about the prospect.

Let's get some background on what's been going on with us over here, before I go any further. We're on our own out here. Since the day of our arrival in this country, thirteen months ago, we've been separated from our company and our battalion, left to our own devices, and working for one National Guard unit or another. As a result of this we're often left, "swinging in the wind" as they say. For example, until recently, none of our faces appeared in the company yearbook, which we were all being pressured to buy anyway. As a result of this we're often late in things like getting our mail and knowing what's going on.

Therefore, when the truck arrived carrying all the mail for this FOB, ours wasn't on it. As a result of this, it is unlikely that I will see any of that mail until the end of March when I come back from the field. Thanks to all the people that tried though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Josh,
Although you are "on your own" out there, know that you are always in my thoughts. I mean that. It is a daily ritual on my morning commute. I ask Him to watch over you and your buddies. To keep you safe from harm until you return to us. LuvYaMeanIt!