15 May 2007

The Extension, The Final Four, Falling Down

I had to back date this entry so everything would be in the right order. Mike was kind enough to yell at me for not updating my Blog in like a year so, even though, everyone pretty much knows the story here it comes again. I'm not even confident anyone is still reading this page due to the fact that I'm so bad at keeping it refreshed. Circa the first week in January of 2007, my platoon, along with the rest of our Battalion, prepared to return to the United States after a year long deployment in Afghanistan. So let's get some perspective first. I don't know that I was ready to come back yet. Don't get me wrong, I didn't exactly enjoy being in Afghanistan by any means, but I also didn't really feel I had anything to look forward to in coming back to the states. Every time someone asked me the question, "what are you looking forward to most about coming back?" "what's the first thing you're going to do when you get back?" and I never had a halfway decent answer. I wasn't as excited as I should have been.

Well the time finally came for us to depart Mehtar Lam, we tried to load ourselves and all of our stuff onto one CH-47 and one Blackhawk Helicopter. Well the CH-47 broke down. Fortunately we were on the ground at the time. THen the Blackhawk broke down. SO we got off and waited. They sent two more Blackhawks, myself and ten other people got on, leaving the rest of our platoon behind. We flew to Bagram and stayed the night. THe next day we flew back to Mehtar Lam and picked up the rest of our platoon and flew to Sharana. We stayed the night there and then flew from Sharana to Bagram, waiting to get on a plane to start flying home. The same day that we were supposed to leave for Kuwait we received the news about our extension. We flew from Bagram to Sharana and from Sharana back to Mehtar Lam. Sounds exciting right?

Well I guess the four months following that went by pretty quick. Mostly the same old stuff. We weren't getting shot at as much, which is good. We did some air assault missions with another battalion. I fell down the side of a mountain and hurt my leg pretty badly and spent the rest of the deployment at Bagram. Which brings us up to present day, and going back to the states again. But this time I'm ready. Though I'm still not sure what it is that I'm looking forward to. Maybe getting a chance to experience a little bit of the freedom that I'm over here trying to protect. I know that if I never see Afghanistan again, I'm totally fine with that. But that's not very likely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WHAT, YOU WEREN'T EXCITED ABOUT SEEING YOUR MOTHER? YOUR SISTER? THE 2 WOMEN WHO (AT THIS TIME ANYWAY) LOVE YOU MOST IN THIS WORLD? PLUS YOUR AUNTS, YOUR COUSINS (WELL, SOME OF THEM)....